Saturday, February 17, 2007
Tonight's The Night- Feb '07 Tim
Tonight’s the Night
Feb. ’07 BCD
1. Before the Beginning Fleetwood Mac
Closing tune on Then Play On, when the band was still Peter Green’s and British blues was alive and well.
2. Me and My Friend the Cat Loudon Wainwright III
Opening song on the second album; I picture Flanagan speeding.
3. My Town Anna Fermin’s Trigger Gospel
I first heard Anna Fermin on Joan’s mix for the club in December ’05.
4. Brand New Cadillac The Clash
From London Calling, for a touch of punk.
5. Inflammatory Writ Joanna Newsom
I took this cut from Milk-Eyed Mender because everything on Ys is so long! Thanks to Josh for introducing me to someone who seems to merge The Incredible String Band with Bjork.
6. Chitlin con Carne Junior Wells
Classic Chicago blues from the Hoodoo Man Blues album (with Buddy Guy).
7. Gloria Patti Smith
I rediscovered Horses this past year, and like it much better now than when it was new. And since I didn’t include any Van Morrison, this song at least hints in his direction.
8. Revolver Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
The Ballad of the Broken Seas is one of my favorite albums from 2006.
9. Tonight’s the Night Neil Young
Okay, so no Van, no Springsteen … I had to include one of my big three.
10. Junkie Chase Curtis Mayfield
From the Superfly soundtrack, a thematic follow-up to “Tonight’s the Night.”
11. Eisenhower Blues J. B. Lenoir
I’d heard about J. B. Lenoir—first from John Mayall’s “I’m Gonna Fight for You, J. B.,” on The Turning Point in 1969, but hadn’t heard him directly till I saw the Wim Wenders film about him in Scorsese’s blues series a few years ago.
12. The Future Leonard Cohen
Not just the old folky of “Suzanne” fame, with the title cut from a hot CD (1992).
13. I’m Your Man Nick Cave
Title cut to the Cohen tribute movie/CD, which features Wainwright kids and Teddy Thompson, among others.
14. Socks on Ears Michael Andrews
From the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years, Me and You and Everyone We Know.
15. Pump It Up Elvis Costello and the Attractions
—because Rick started the club, because he’s an Elvis fan, and because Rick pumps up about everything he gets involved with!
16. Wicked Messenger Bob Dylan
From John Wesley Harding, one of first two or three albums I ever bought and still one of my favorites.
17. Could We Cat Power
Get her Covers Record as well as The Greatest.
18. Summersong The Decemberists
More new music from 2006.
19. Breakdown Porlolo
This band comes from Colorado; my daughter introduced me to the group a month ago.
20. Matty Groves Fairport Convention
Liege and Lief is a classic album, and this tune is a bit of rockin’ traditional British folk, with Sandy Denny singing and Richard Thompson on guitar.
21. Razor Dance Richard Thompson
A hot cut from you? me? us? (1996).
22. The Mess We’re In P. J. Harvey with Thom Yorke
On the cover photo to Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (2000), Harvey looks a lot like our rabbi’s wife; their lives are probably a lot different.